August 14, 2001
- Tom and Vaughan both mention the impossibility of buying property in London. They could try — Mortgage Sharing [which is working sucessfully for me].
- Top 100 Comics of August 2001. ‘1) New X-Men #117’
- Unsurprisingly, Doom is GameSpy’s Top 50 Game of all Time … ‘It’s a testament to Doom’s superior design and longetivity that it still has a thriving community today, building modifications, maps, and utilities as if it were 1994. What’s more, since id Software released the game’s source code a few years back, a number of “source ports” have appeared, which extend the game’s features and capabilities into the 21st century. ‘ [Related: ZDoom — best updated Source Port]
- Slashdot covers Groth Vs. McCloud on Digital Comics … ‘Really now, what is the advantage of using flash for a static image comic (other than zooming)? 3 advantages: KAPOW! BLAM! BIFF!’
- Last Big Brother link of 2001 — Oh my God! It’s Helen’s hair — This is London visits Classy Cutz …‘We move to a seat by reception; the phone rings non-stop; every other call is a hoax; dirty calls, hang-ups, laughing down the phone. One man calls and says he’s an old friend of Helen’s and do they have a contact number for her? “I don’t think so,” he is told matter-of-factly.’
July 23, 2001
- I wonder what sort of Big Brother 2 housemate Paul from Digital Trickery would be? ‘The less I hear about this pleb-pleasing triviafest the better. I mean, why does anyone give a flying toss about it? ‘
- Adventure for the Atari 2600 — one of my favourite computer games ever… ‘Adventure also contained the first Easter Egg (hidden surprise) in a video game, which in this case was the author’s signature hidden in a secret room.’
- Friday’s Media Nugget was Ghost World. ‘Few movies have expressed the transition from teen to adult with such farcical honesty. An adaptation of the graphic novel of the same name by Daniel Clowes (who co-wrote the film), Ghost World beautifully retains the style and attitude of its comic book forebear. ‘
- New Order Website… True Faith Video. ‘When I was a very small boy Very small boys talked to me. Now that we’ve grown up together They’re afraid of what they see. That’s the price that we all pay And the value of destiny comes to nothing. I can’t tell you where we’re going I guess there was just no way of knowing.’
- Friday Night expressed as a link.
- Profile of Iain Duncan Smith…. ‘In background and style Tebbit and Duncan Smith could hardly have been more different, but they both held fast to key tenets of the Thatcherite canon – principally the supremacy of the nation state. Asked while electioneering what he thought of foxhunting, Duncan Smith was prevented from replying by Tebbit, who pointed to his colleague’s mouth and said: “Madam, these are the teeth of a killer. This man must have meat or die.”‘
July 12, 2001
- Lots of First Chapters of Books… Trilobite!, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and House of Leaves.
- Lucky Man Lyrics… ‘But how many corners do I have to turn? How many times do I have to learn All the love I have is in my mind? I hope you understand.’
- A very brief distraction — Dancing Dots. ‘Boy, oh boy, is this one completely useless!’
- Weblog at Everything2 Vs. Weblog at Interconnected.
- Random Link from my Favourites: Hessian Love… ‘I’m a metal dude with long hair and tats who loves to party at all hour of the night. i am 6’4” 210# long (to my ass) hair, played in sf bands for 13 years. i have 5 ozzy tats and 2 dio tats. what can i say, i luv sabbath. new in la , saw your add for more info and photo pleez wright back. we need to hook up and get shitfaced. did i mention i’m hung like tommy lee?’
- Yesterday on filepile.org… #1, #2, #3.
July 6, 2001
[stuff] More Random Linkage:
July 4, 2001
[stuff] Random Linkage:
- Anthony Soprano: ‘Mother of Christ! Is this a woman thing? You ask me how I’m feeling. I TELL you how I’m feeling. And now you’re going to torture me with it.’ [from Sopranos Sounds]
- haddock.org…. on Blogs. ‘It’s only a matter of hours before all weblogs disappear up their collective meta-arse.’
- An abiding image for 2001? ‘Judge: Mr Milosevic, this is not the time for speeches. As I have said you will have a full opportunity in due course to defend yourself and to make your defence before the tribunal. This is not the moment to do so. This matter is now adjourned.’ [BBC News Transcript]
- Dr. William Minor at everything2.com. Dr. Minor would have been a blogger if he’d been born 140 years later…
- The Washington Post revisits Watergate…. 25 years later (in 1997). Ben Bradlee on Deep Throat: ‘I think he had a strange, passionate devotion to the truth and a horror at what he saw going on. ‘
June 19, 2001
[stuff] Random Linkage 2:
June 13, 2001
[stuff] Random Linkage:
- Excellent fan site for Manhunter — the Michael Mann film based on Thomas Harris’ book Red Dragon.
- Photos from Nasa’s Apollo moon missions.
- PassNotes on Gary Bushell.
- Dave Eggers: ‘…do not dismiss a person until you have met them. It is a fuckload of work to be open-minded and generous and understanding and forgiving and accepting, but Christ, that is what matters.’ [via methylsalicylate]
- 99 Ways to Improve Your Life [Part 1 | Part 2] Read Tolkien? WTF!? ‘16 Brush up on your Tolkien, even if you hate it. When the film comes out, no party will be safe from a Lord of the Rings conversation, so make sure you have something to say, even if it’s simply, “I never read it; and nor, happily, did I spent my entire teenage years making horrid cracking sounds with my knuckles and picking my sweaty feet and masturbating.”‘